About La Nube
We are on a mission to serve the many communities that make up the greater El Paso and Juarez region through engaging exhibitions as well as relevant and responsive programming. La Nube exists to enrich the lives of children and their families and thereby change our communities in positive ways. We are proud and grateful to have the opportunity to serve the incredible people of El Paso, Ciudad Juarez, and the Borderland region.
La Nube is a ground up 70,000 SF new construction building in downtown El Paso designed by Snohetta Architects New York Office; exhibit and graphic design by Gyroscope, in Oakland, CA; fabrication and installation provided by Kubik Maltbie, BOSS Displays, FabLab El Paso, several local artists, and Future Forms. The STEAM-based guest experiences include a 55’ multi-story climber with ADA access as well as large-scale water-based experiences, digital and media installations, program and maker spaces, RFID activated engagement, and a custom microsite for follow up activities.
La Nube’s anticipated opening date is late 2023 with soft openings in the month prior to the official opening. The entire La Nube team will be hired, trained, and ready for the soft openings.
About the Role
The VP of Facilities & Exhibits serves as a key member of the executive leadership team and provides direction and oversight for all matters relating to La Nube’s built environment, including both exhibit experiences and museum building and grounds. This position is critical to ensuring safe, welcoming and functional experiences for La Nube guests, members, and special events. The VP will direct a technical support and maintenance staff responsible for ensuring the museum experience is functioning, and any exhibit scheduled maintenance and repairs, including media and digital displays, are completed with high quality and efficiency.
The VP will work in collaboration with local authorities on all matters related to building compliance, safety, yearly inspections, utility optimization and energy output, ensuring environmental and safety requirements are met. The VP will lead future exhibit projects and ensure ongoing communications with related teams (educational programming, marketing, etc.) to plan the overall guest experience.
This job is for you if you have…
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, with a minimum 5 years exhibit project management experience at an interactive science center/children’s museum. Minimum 5 years managerial experience of technical and creative teams.
• Excellent ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects with deadlines simultaneously and with good humor. Thorough and detail-oriented.
• Ability to read and interpret technical documents related to exhibits, IT and building systems maintenance. – furnished in written, diagrams or schedule form.
• Ability to write routine reports and professional correspondence.
• Budgeting expertise, with the ability to forecast expenses and project costs.
• Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint.
• Proficient in project management tools and Gantt charts.
• Advanced building systems knowledge (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, IT, DMX controlled lighting,etc.).
• Experience with both Building/Grounds and Museum Exhibit Automation Systems.
• Experience with diagnosing and troubleshooting/repairing digital/electronic components.
• Basic computer diagnostic, troubleshooting and repair skills.
• Ability to read and interpret building drawing PDF’s.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking abilities and proven experience as a strategic partner.
• Ability to build and maintain effective positive working relationships with management, the Board of Directors, donors, vendors, and guests, with a focus on service and quality.
• Excited by challenges, inspired by innovation and willing to expand professional knowledge.
• Commitment to being a team player – our success is based on what we accomplish together.
• BA/BS in a related field or demonstrated equivalent work experience.
• AutoCAD experience a plus.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job.
Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Frequently lift/or move up to 50 lbs., occasionally lift/move/push 100 lbs+ . Ability to climb ladders.
Primarily a museum and fabrication shop environment, working around shop tools and equipment. Work from lifts, ladders, high platforms, and operating motorized equipment will be necessary.
Because La Nube is a startup, you’ll be given lots of responsibility and opportunities to shape the organization prior to museum opening. We are at a pivotal moment in building the organization, and you must have the vision and drive to secure the resources, build the team and develop systems necessary to ensure the museum’s guest environment is ready for opening. You must be collaborative, resourceful and a creative problem-solver. The VP of Facilities & Exhibits will be the primary leader in building the team, securing resources from outside vendors, and establishing necessary policies and procedures for the Facility and Exhibits team.
Once La Nube is operational, the VP of Facilities & Exhibits responsibilities will include:
Manages outputs of the Facilities & Exhibits Team and vendors:
• Establish work schedule, task, and timelines to assure efficient workflow.
• Prioritize daily activities of direct reports and volunteers.
• Troubleshoot issues to minimize downtime of building systems and guest experiences.
• Provide direction and supervision for contracted services, including janitorial, security, landscaping, pest management, parking services, etc. to ensure the highest possible standards.
• Establish and communicate performance standards, conduct reviews of staff on a regular basis.
• Hire, coach, train and lead Facility & Exhibits Team members.
Provides direction and oversight for all activities involving Facilities & Exhibits operations:
• Coordinate regularly with other teams on new initiatives (special events, education
programs, temporary exhibits, etc.). Provide expert creative input and/or direction for appropriate graphics and signage as necessary.
• Create and maintain preventative maintenance plans and safety inspections.
• Manage inventory to ensure replacement parts are on-site to minimize downtime.
• Perform regular inspections of the building and grounds to ensure safe, welcoming, and functional guest experience.
• Track issues and provides recommendations and research for alternate experiences, specifications, and/or engineering solutions.
• Oversee work in progress to ensure quality control.
• Communicate with other La Nube Team members to resolve issues.
Safety and Security
• Direct and/or respond to after-hour emergencies as required.
• Develop, implement, and update all emergency evacuation procedures, staff training programs for general safety, emergency procedures, and OHSA changes.
• Establish emergency protocols related to guest experiences including the climber, water exhibits.
• Coordinate and maintain communication with local emergency services, Police, Fire, and City officials.
• Oversee first aid training, delivery, and insurance communications, documentation, and correspondence.
• Maintain and issue all facility door operational schedules, keys, parking/ door access cards and alarm codes.
• Ensure Fire and burglary systems and devices are operating optimally and maintain up-to-date emergency contact lists.
• Maintain and ensure that all security cameras, and DVR platforms are fully functional and operating properly, allowing for instant access to live views and recorded footage.
Forecast, manage, and maintain records of Team and special projects budgets.
• Develop annual budgets and vendor contract negotiations.
• Maintain detailed records of expenses and forecasts.
• Oversee cost estimates of all outside vendors contracted by the Team.
• Initiate purchase orders and check requests. Process invoices and follow up with vendors as necessary to close out billings.
• For now, your “desk” could be in any number of places—home, coffee shop, downtown office spaces. We just need you to be in a place with reliable cell phone access and high- speed internet. Prior to opening, we will be working as a team in a leased office space.
• During construction and exhibit installation, must be available on site for operational training of systems, equipment, settings, and scheduled maintenance; will be keeper of owner’s manuals delivered by fabricators.
• You can expect a 40-hour work week, via phone/Zoom/email, but you are willing to invest the time needed to get the job done.
• We are very flexible for caregivers who might need to provide rides, support, attend appointments or be available for caregiving.
• Personal qualities of leadership, integrity, credibility, and commitment to La Nube’s vision and purpose
• Exceptionally well-versed in museum exhibit and facilities maintenance and development
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
• Be both a team player and team leader
Nice to Have
• Comfortable working independently as we ramp up the staffing, structures, and policies
• Fluent in English and Spanish
• Committed to keeping current on industry best practices
Why La Nube?
• The opportunity to join a talented team that is passionate about serving the children and families of El Paso and the Borderland region
• The opportunity to work within a team to shape the culture and build a great organization
• Personal and professional growth. We invest in people because we believe growth leads to organizational impact and personal fulfillment.
• Competitive salary, equity, and benefits
• Flexible time-off policy
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com including the name of the position in the email subject line.
Your application should be addressed to HR and include the following:
• An updated resume or CV with contact details: email address and phone number
• A cover letter and pay requirements
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that La Nube requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. La Nube is an equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.